Christmas Chocolate Pie Recipe
In the spirit of giving, we are spilling our favorite secret ingredient…red wine!
Here at Messina Hof, around the holidays, we love infusing naturally fruit-forward and rich red wine into our desserts. This week, we are featuring our Christmas Chocolate Pie recipe. Luxurious, sweet flavors of chocolate blend with warm, dark berries, plum, and vanilla from our Private Reserve Reflections of Love and light flavors of honey from our Angel Riesling. Taste it for yourself!
4 cups finely crushed chocolate cookies
1/2 cup butter, melted
Chocolate Mousse Layer:
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter
3 Tbsp Messina Hof Private Reserve Reflections of Love
8 egg yolks
4 Tbsp sugar, divided
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp sour cream
2 egg whites
White Chocolate Mousse Layer:
9 oz white chocolate, chopped
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
3 Tbsp Messina Hof Angel Late Harvest Riesling
3 egg yolks
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar, divided
2 egg whites
1. Combine the cookie crumbs and melted butter; press onto the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
2. In a double boiler, melt semi-sweet chocolate and butter; add Red wine. In a mixing bowl, whip egg yolks and 3 Tbsp sugar until creamy. Add chocolate mixture. Cool.
3. In another bowl, whip cream and sour cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Whip egg whites and remaining sugar until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture. Pour over prepared crust. Freeze for 20 minutes.
4. In a double boiler, melt white chocolate with 3 Tbsp cream; add white wine. In a mixing bowl, whip egg yolks and 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar until creamy. Whisk in chocolate mixture.
5. Whip the remaining cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture. Whip egg whites and remaining sugar until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate overnight. Pour over semi-sweet mouse layer.
6. Freeze overnight.
Recipe modified from pg. 152 of Messina Hof’s Vineyard Cuisine™ Recipe Book
Want to take your dessert assortment to the next level? Try pairing gingerbread, juicy berry pies, and creamy desserts with the sweet flavors of Angel Riesling, Orange Muscat Mistella, Paulo Port, Barrel Reserve Port, and Sparkling Muscat Canelli!