Let’s Talk Turkey – California Wild Mushroom Dressing
Add some new flavors to your traditional holiday turkey with the California Wild Mushroom dressing. Make this bold recipe a part of your holiday selections while pairing this dish with dry red wines such as Messina Hof Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Cabernet Franc, Shiraz, Merlot, or Reflections.
– 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
– 3 cups fresh Italian bread, crust removed and cubed
– 1 cup milk
– 4 slices bacon, chopped (preferably apple bacon)
– 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
– 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 pound assorted wild mushroom, such as shiitake, oyster, wood ear morel, stems trimmed, wiped clean and sliced
– 1- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
– Salt, to taste
– Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
– 2/3 cup Marsala wine
– 4 large eggs, beaten
– ½ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
– ½ tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a 6-cup baking dish with the butter and set aside.
In a bowl, soak the bread cubes in milk. In a large saut pan or skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp and the fat is rendered. Remove with a slotted spoon and on paper towels. To the fat in the pan, add the onions, celery, garlic and pepper, and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the Marsala, stirring with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan, 1- ½ to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and mix well, breaking up the pieces of bread. Add the mushroom mixture, bacon, chopped thyme and oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
For more great Holiday recipes and pairings, check out our Let’s Talk Turkey Wine & Food Pairing Chart, click here to view now!